free html5 templates
Bognor & Lyndhurst

Day 1 - Bognor to Lyndhurst

62 Miles

Cycling through or cycling along - Chichester; Emsworth; Havant; The Shipwrights Way (Hayling Billy Trail); Portsmouth; The Solent Way & Southampton

Bognor Regis is a seaside resort in West Sussex on the south coast of England, 56 miles south-west of London, 24 miles west of Brighton, 6 miles south-east of Chichester and 16 miles east of Portsmouth. Other nearby towns include Littlehampton east-north-east and Selsey to the south-west. The nearby villages of Felpham, and Aldwick are now suburbs of Bognor Regis, along with those of North and South Bersted. The population of the Bognor Regis built-up area, including Felpham and Aldwick, was 63,855 at the 2011 census.

A seaside resort was developed by Sir Richard Hotham in the late 18th century on what was a sandy, undeveloped coastline. It has been claimed that Hotham and his new resort are portrayed in Jane Austen's unfinished novel Sanditon. The resort grew slowly in the first half of the 19th century but grew rapidly following the coming of the railway in 1864. In 1929 the area was chosen by advisors to King George V which led to its regal suffix, by royal consent. Butlin's has been present in the town since the early 1930s when an amusement park and zoo were opened. Wikipedia

Lyndhurst is a large village and civil parish situated in the New Forest National Park in Hampshire, England. Serving as the administrative capital of the New Forest, it is a popular tourist attraction, with many independent shops, art galleries, caf├ęs, museums, pubs and hotels. The nearest city is Southampton, about nine miles (14 km) to the north-east. As of 2001 Lyndhurst had a population of 2,973, increasing to 3,029 at the 2011 Census. The name derives from an Old English name, comprising the words lind (lime tree) and hyrst (wooded hill).

Known as the "Capital of the New Forest", Lyndhurst houses the New Forest District Council. The first mention of Lyndhurst was in the Domesday Book of 1086 under the name 'Linhest'. The Court of Verderers sits in the Queens House in Lyndhurst. The church of St. Michael and All Angels was built in the 1860s, and contains a fresco by Lord Leighton and stained-glass windows by Charles Kempe, William Morris, Edward Burne-Jones and others; Alice Liddell, the inspiration for Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, is buried there.

Glasshayes House (the former Lyndhurst Park Hotel) is the only surviving example of Sir Arthur Conan Doyles architectural experimentation, and local folklore records Lyndhurst as the site of a Dragon-slaying, and as being haunted by the ghost of Richard Fitzgeorge de Stacpoole, 1st Duc de Stacpoole. Wikipedia